In 2013, mobile devices solidified their position as a key driver of consumer engagement and will continue to be a mainstay in marketing strategies for years to come. Now, with marketers increasingly invested in mobile, we wanted to take a look at how mobile promotional engagement differs among digital marketing channels for our retail and consumer packaged goods clients
In total, 39% of visits to a retail promotion in 2013 originated from a mobile device, while just 18% of traffic to CPG promotions came from mobile.
- For retailers, social and mobile play very well together. 50% of all traffic to promotions from a social channel came through a mobile device.
- Conversely, consumers are significantly less likely to engage with a CPG brand on social media than with retailers. Mobile accounted for just 30% of social visits for CPG.
- Consumers were more likely to engage with CPG offers via email on a mobile device than retailer offers. 43% of CPG email offer engagement came from a mobile device in 2013.
- For retailers in particular, display and brand site mobile engagement lags slightly behind other channels - 28% and 30% of traffic respectively.
- Consumers were least likely to search for offers from CPG brands on a mobile device as mobile traffic only accounted for 13% of CPG search engagement.
Email was the only channel in which consumers were more engaged with a brand than a retailer, indicating that consumers may not be as active in seeking out, or as aware of the availability of, CPG offers via a mobile device. In many cases CPG brands are already using shopper marketing campaigns and leveraging ‘save for later’ options to create secure, measurable mobile offers. Despite these advances in CPG mobile capabilities there is still a significant opportunity to improve awareness among consumers.
Mobile must be a core focus of promotional strategies, and with this focus comes the importance of remembering that consumer behavior varies significantly across the many digital marketing channels and verticals. Keeping these distinctions in mind, marketers can tailor their campaigns across all channels in order to optimize the consumer experience and drive further engagement and conversion.
Are your promotions mobile enabled? Head over to RevTrax.com to learn how mobile promotions can help deliver, secure and measure mobile promotions for your industry.